It might be surprising to learn that cat food for urinary tract health is the best way of keeping your cat strong and healthy. Since food determines the pH of the urine, choosing the best food with the highest quality ingredients is one of the top ways to prevent a urinary tract infection (UTI) in your cat. Considering that this is the most common health issue your furry friend will face, take time to read this article and learn how to find the best urinary tract health cat food.
It goes without saying that food is our best medicine. This is as true in cats as it is in humans. To prove this point, if you take your cat to a vet for recurring UTI’s, he or she will recommend prescription cat food. Since diet can also be used for prevention, which store-bought cat food for urinary tract health is best? Rather than recommending brands that you may not be able to find in your area or that your cat may not like, I’ll give you a list of ingredients, so you can find the best urinary tract health cat food that also satisfies your cat’s taste buds.
Cat Food for Urinary Tract Health – Essential Ingredients
- Protein – some form of protein whether it is chicken, beef, fish or some sort of chicken or herring meal should be listed as the first ingredient. Cats are meat-eaters and need their protein. They need more a higher percentage of protein to carbs.
- Berries like cranberries and even blueberries help regulate healthy bladder flow and prevent infection.
- Chicken or beef broth.
- Vegetables – all vegies are healthy for your cat, but remember that protein is more important.
Avoid food that contains ingredients that are by-products like: soybean meal, corn gluten meal, soy and wheat flour.
Look for the following:
- Magnesium – no more than 0.025% – a mineral that helps prevent the formation of crystals in the urine.
- DL-Methionine – an amino acid that helps control the amount of ammonia in the urine. Also helps prevent urine crystals.
In addition to feeding cat food for urinary tract health, consider giving a supplement that contains natural ingredients like uva ursi, berberis and cantharis that work like antibiotics to keep the bladder clean and infection-free. The best remedies restore and maintain balance in the urinary tract, keeping your kitty strong and healthy. Since the quality of packaged food is not always perfect, supplements are essential to your cat’s daily preventative care.
Finally, before giving your cat a supplement, make sure to do your research.